Thursday, October 6, 2011

Don't Do As I Did, Do As I Say

 I will pay a high price for losing my lower DNA appliance, just as the dentist warned. It's going to cost me $750. Hopefully my mistake will a lesson to readers.

The trick is, how to prevent such a mistake? After all, one cannot very well effectively command ones self to never make an error- to never forget anything.

I think the answer is to have a system. (Review my previous blog entry on how I made the mistake if you need to.) How does one remember to never forget? My idea is this: Never go anywhere with your DNA appliance if you do not also have the carrying case with you. That's all there is to the system. Label that carrying case with your name and contact number.  If you ever need to take your appliance out, you will have your case with you and you will put it in that. It's less likely you will leave that behind, but if you do happen to leave it behind, it is obvious to others it is an orthodontic appliance, and you have your contact number on it. I think it's very unlikely to get thrown out. I would think the habit of always having your carrying case (or a spare carrying case) should greatly reduce the incidence of accidental losses like mine.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this blog! It's quite helpful. A dentist suggested the DNA appliance for my son, but then also suggested I get a sleep study and CAT scan done as part of the determination. Did you have to do those things? A sleep study I can swing but the radiation of a CAT scan for my child really scares me. Is this standard protocol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment on the blog. It was suggested I get a sleep study, but I passed on it because I don't have apnea symptoms, just common snoring. A CAT scan was not mentioned to me. I'm not qualified to comment on the medical necessity of either but I do think these days there is valid cause to keep an eye out for potential overprescription of procedures or overdiagnosis in order to generate further procedures or drug prescriptions. It is sad but I think true that patients are sometimes victimized by the medical business for the money they can extract from them. We can no longer automatically trust that all our doctors have only our best interests at heart. Perhaps you could ask the dentist the specific reasons she recommended those procedures, and research further from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have "common snoring", but was recommended I have a sleep study and turned out I have apnea. I'm thin, young, and healthy. I'm not your "typical apnea patient" only symptom was snoring. I think ruling out apnea can be of benefit because if left undiagnosed it can affect your heart later. However, if this appliance stopped your snoring perhaps it inadvertently took care of any possible apnea.

      Delete
  3. Rick, I'm sorry you lost your appliance. I agree we can never not make mistakes, but your idea of a system makes very good sense. Thanks for the warning. I'm hoping to start this treatment soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much did the initial appliance cost my dr quoted me 9000$

    ReplyDelete